Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Term Long Project

Im collecting information from my community experts on community!! Here's the first email I sent them:

"Hey everyone,

I feel somewhat disconnected from our collective now that I am distracted by school, but that doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about you all.

I am doing a project (for my design class) that is about my interest in growing, making, preserving, harvesting, and generally doing things myself instead of buying it at the store (which, of course, has been facilitated by you all).

My project focuses on my experience with homebrewing, specifically harvesting hops this summer. In one piece, I map how hops have moved into my consciousness. In the other piece, I show how the Prohibition (of alcohol in america) has led to the popularity of homebrewing (and, thus, helped hops come into my consciousness). With my final pieces I want to show how my exploration with homebrewing and hops have connected me to my community and history. I want to stress the importance of people and community.

You are people who are part of my community, so I want to hear from you! If you would write me a little something about why you want to be apart of "a group of folks dedicated to community, economic independence, health (individual and community), sustainability, an openness to bartering, and eventually opening a storefront retail cooperative," that would be really helpful!

Why are you interested in learning about food? How did you come to this interest? Who in your life has taught you about the importance of community? What community mean to you? Write whatever you want- I wana know about you!

THANKS!!!

Jasmine"

No comments: