Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Finding Experts

I need to know about where to look for human identity sources! I asked my Womens Studies professor for help.


"Hey Sally!


I know you said you're slow to answer email, but this kinda of has a long explanation.


I was wondering if you knew of any good sources that talk specifically about the influence of community on human identity. I know that sounds broad, but let me give you a quick rundown of my project (for my design class) and what I'm trying to achieve.


My project focuses on my experience with homebrewing, specifically harvesting hops this summer. In one piece, I map how hops have moved into my consciousness. In the other piece, I show how the Prohibition (of alcohol in america) has led to the popularity of homebrewing (and, thus, helped hops come into my consciousness). With my final pieces I want to show how my exploration with homebrewing and hops have connected me to my community and history and contextualized myself within the human timeline.


I want to encourage people (by my example) to connect themselves to history and community through their own interests.


I think that community is important when developing your own identity as a human, but I don't know where to look to find sources to back myself up. Do you have any suggestions?


Thanks so much,


Jasmine Silver

(455U, gender in education)"

No comments: